Safety Tips for Exploring Wild Caves
So if you decide to channel your inner Indiana Jones and are embarking on a wild caves adventure, be sure to take heed of the following safety precautions:
- Never attempt to do this alone.
- Be sure to take at least three kinds of light with you, i.e lighter, matches and a torch
- Rubber soled boots are essential
- Dress warmly or pack clothes that will provide you with warmth
- Pack ‘energy food’ like peanuts and berries
- Take a piece of nylon tubular webbing and a carbineer
- It is absolutely imperative that you tell someone where you are going and give them your estimated time of return.
A modern day example of what could go horribly wrong with poorly-planned wild cave exploration is the movie 27 Hours with actor James Franco. It’s all well and good to think you are experienced in any field but nature and the elements will get the better of you if you make the school boy error of going alone or not letting anyone know where you are. So, the best thing to do especially if you’ve never gone cave exploring before is to book a tour with a group that is led by a professional guide. For premier wild cave exploration in the Gauteng area, contact Wild Cave Adventures; www.wildcaves.co.za