Anton van Wouw Museum

The Van Wouw Museum is the last home and studio of the South African sculptor Anton van Wouw (1862-1945)/ It was designed by Norman Eaton in 1938 and van Wouw lived there from 1939-1945. The museum houses 64 art works by van Wouw, mainly sculptures

Image courtesy of Wikipedia

Run by the University of Pretoria, the Van Wouw Museum is a Dutch national monument and is home to a collection of the Dutch-born sculptor, Anton Van Wouw’s work. The building was the last home and studio of the late sculptor and was designed by Norman Eaton in 1938. Van Wouw’s moved to Pretoria from the Netherlands in 1880 and his first commissioned work (ten years later) was a statue of Paul Kruger, the State President of the South African Republic, which still dominates Church Square today.

His work is very perceptive of the people of South Africa and he would go to great lengths to capture their expressions and moods. The Thinker, The Laughing Basutu, The Shangaan, The Skapu Player, The Hunter Drinking and The Sleeping African are just some of the 64 works you can see in the museum. The house also contains photographs and documents relating to the artist’s life. Van Wouw loved the outdoors and nature and the house depicts this with a lush garden and ornamental pool.

Image courtesy of Event Seeker

Van Wouw had a great love for his adopted country and spent much time in the wide outdoors, getting to know the indigenous people. Some of his smaller sculptures, which are less formal than his larger works, reflect how deeply he understood and appreciated these people through the way he portrayed their facial expressions and captured their moods. Some of his best works are displayed at the Van Wouw Museum, including The Thinker, The Laughing Basutu, The Shangaan, The Skapu Player, The Hunter Drinking and The Sleeping African.

Visitors to the Van Wouw Museum in Pretoria come to appreciate that Anton Van Wouw was not only a talented sculptor and artist, but he was a perceptive and compassionate man.

Admission

Free

Visiting hours

Tues - Fri 10:00AM - 16:00PM (or by appointment)